At a glance
When it comes time to choose a new appliance such as a washing machine or a dishwasher, you can make a big difference to your water use and water bills by choosing a water-efficient model. Water-efficient appliances will also reduce your environmental impact without affecting your lifestyle.
Research your requirements
Every household situation is different, so when choosing a new appliance it makes sense to do a little research to work out which appliance is right for your particular circumstances.
- Consider how often you will use it, the size you need, any special installation or operating requirements and your budget. Start with Your Home guide—Reducing water demand.
- Use the Water Efficiency Labelling and Standards (WELS) product search to compare the efficiency and water use of different appliance models.
- Check to see if you are eligible for rebates or other assistance to install water-efficient appliances. You may also be eligible for assistance from your local water authority. Check if there are conditions that may make certain systems ineligible for financial assistance.
Get quotes and advice
The best way to achieve value for money and environmental benefits is to get information and advice from more than one source.
- Talk to several suppliers or manufacturers about your options and get several quotes before you commit to a new appliance.
- You may need a licensed plumber to install your new appliance. If so, talk to your plumber first to make sure you get an appliance that is suitable for your home.
- Ask suppliers about any additional costs such as new fittings, especially if you are installing a new washing machine that will connect to a rainwater or greywater supply.
Check the warranties for different appliances as this can vary greatly.
Install your new appliance
Make sure you follow the instructions if you're installing the appliance, and be aware of any maintenance requirements. If a plumber is installing your new water-efficient appliance, ask to be shown any special maintenance requirements.